Elementary School Curriculum
A diverse private school for students in Kingston, Wilkes-Barre, and surrounding areas.
A well-rounded curriculum, comprised of global education concepts, oral speaking and critical thinking, in addition to the common-core and innovative new subjects is the focus of the Jenny Lynn Elementary School. We strive to provide the highest quality education for your children and prepare them for our changing world.
- Reading instruction encompasses methods and strategies aligned with common core grade level standards.
- Oral speaking development is promoted through character role play, play performances, leadership roles in cooperative learning projects, and literature presentations that are centered on grade level reading focus skills.
- Critical thinking is fostered through small/large group discussions, analysis of story elements, making predictions, role playing/recreating storylines and outcomes.
- Writing instruction is advanced and enriched with formal writing skills and writing formats introduced early. Writing is a core subject in the curriculum and meets all standards aligned with the common core requirements.
- Oral speaking development is fostered through weekly Author's Chair sharing, oral cooperative group reports, class expert sharing, class interviews and reporting.
- Critical thinking is supported through self- reflection in journaling and explorative writing through personal, descriptive and persuasive narratives.
- Instruction in mathematics is based on the principles of conceptual understanding, problem solving, and critical thinking of grade appropriate skills aligned with the common core standards.
- Oral speaking is supported with regular participation in various roles in cooperative learning problem solving groups and presentations.
- Critical thinking is emphasized based on a problem solving methodology by identifying and communicating problems, exploring possibilities, predicting outcomes, and explaining solutions.
Cultural Development (World Cultures)
Each grade level will study specific countries and instruction will bridge meaningful connections to our country. Cultural development is based on four main principles of global education.
- Cultural Understanding: Developing a broad understanding of diverse cultures within the United States and throughout the world.
- Environmental Education: Creating an awareness of our world environment, environmental issues, and the development of individual environmental concern and accountability.
- Human Rights Instruction: Educating students about social and cultural rights and the cultivation of fairness and social equality for all people.
- Peace Education: The understanding and promotion of world, national, and local peace.
- Oral speaking is fostered through regular share time in preparation for a cumulative grade level class project and community presentation at end of the year in a school wide World Fair.
- Critical thinking skills will be encouraged through promoting/initiating discussions, panel and debate teams, acquisition of knowledge concerning global and environmental issues, exploration of cultural awareness and social fairness, promotion of self-confidence and empowerment, and encouraging meaningful self-connection to the world around them.
- Check our most recent Global Fair here.
- Instruction is based on thematic unit instruction per grade level with a focus on environmental awareness.
- Oral speaking is emphasized through theme projects and class presentations.
- Critical thinking is fully supported by scientific experimentation encouraging observational skills, data collection, analysis of information, deductive thinking, predicting, hypothesizing, and evaluating.
Additional focus areas
- Foreign Language- Formal Spanish instruction will be taught three times a week with integration in other subject areas.
- Character Education and Etiquette- Etiquette class will be taught once a week and integrated throughout the entire school day.
- Technology- Students will participate in weekly functional computer instruction. Various Internet learning and computer programs will be utilized in all areas of the global curriculum.
- Art and Music- Instruction in art and music is integrated throughout the curriculum. Music is used to enhance morning exercises, spanish instruction, Yoga, and Zumbatomic. In addition, students participate in regular school wide studies of various famous artists and musical composers.
- Mind and Body Physical Education- Regular physical education will support positive growth in the mind and body through weekly Yoga and Zumbatomic classes.